Thursday 24 July 2014

Last day in Kyoto.


 
24th July 2014.

I was woken by drumming albeit distant. Oh yes - the parade – how could I forget Gion Matasuri? This festival was first held in 869AD to give thanks for the deliverance from a plague which had ravaged the region. It also marks the beginning of summer after the rainy season. Now the present temperatures of up to 35C will go between 35C and 40C. and accompanied by high humidity.

I thought we were very fortunate to strike a parade. Our guide for yesterday afternoon tour had told us all about it and suggested we walk two blocks along, two blocks the left then down one of the side streets to see the construction of the floats. Ten were expected – each towed by 40 people. Apparently it would be a good time to see them in the cool of the evening. How lucky were we? The floats are kept in storage when not in use and then ceremoniously taken out to be reconstructed each year. They are totally held together by string and are about 6 metres high and on four huge wheels about 1 ½ metres high. I imagined I wold see dragons and things but no – just the carriage. But the people!!!

The police were on every corner directed the crowds, yelling loudly and waving red light batons. We saw a great gateway of bright white lanterns shining up a street and followed the crowd. I don’t know how the Japanese do it but they just seemed to flow, in a liquid form, around me, but I couldn’t see the opening to move forward. Just before the wagon were school children seated and singing; a stall selling stuff and giving out samples of sake. I later asked Hop what it was liked but he said the sample was too small to tell. Maybe they knew he wasn’t going to buy any. When we finally arrived at the wagon all we could see were some ladies climbing up a staircase erected inside a tent that covered the entire construction. Lots of ladies were wearing kimonos as per the tradition. I noticed the huge wheels having ladles of water poured over them. The main part of the huge “thing” was red and gold but covered with clear plastic curtains. There were lots of young and not so young men around wearing black and white outfits – jackets and straight legged pants – the “pullers” of the wagon. All was very exciting – well they were all excited. The whole populace turns out for this apparently. Even Mums with little babies sleeping, oblivious to the noise, in front carriers. There was actually no crush – a funny thing as I recall now. All I know is that they moved to no space and overtook me easily, without touching any one.

We had intended getting up for the parade BUT…when the drum woke me at 7.40 I tried to ignore it. It thumped out again several times. The parade was due to start at 9 am. Hoppy did stir but shame to wake him. Suddenly it was 10 o’clock!!! Time for the cuppa. We had to check out at 11. For once I wasn’t organised, in fact Hoppy had packed before me – well I was impressed til I found some of his gear still in the wardrobe. He wasn’t impressed – didn’t have any room left in his little case. We had travelled light for these three days. Reception rang at 11.15 to see if we were checking out.

I was less impressed later when I realised I couldn’t find my kindle anywhere. If it’s not in my little bag I’ve left it on the shinkasen –what a disaster.

Yes maybe we should have got up earlier to see the parade but the thought of that crowd again!!! There was every possibility we wouldn’t be able to see a darn thing. Anyway later on, as we walked the streets waiting for our 5.35 pm pick-up, we happened upon the dismantling process. Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment